Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Thursday May 7th

Sum 41 at the Crazy Donkey. I remember when I first heard of Sum 41. I was leaving a New Found Glory concert at Axis night club in Boston when I was handed a VHS tape of a music video Sum 41 made. I can't remember the song now, but I don't think it was Fat Lip. It may have been from their first album...anyway. Going to see them reminded me of my good friend and college roommate Lauren who I went to see the NFG show with. I think that was around the time she dropped gum in her boyfriend, Kris', armpit hair and had to cut it out. I still remember that as one of the funniest things I saw. That and the day Kris and his friend has opposite arms sunburned from a road trip to Maryland where the each had one arm out opposing windows.

Okay...enough reminiscing and onto the actual show. I attended this concert (which did not have a ticket stub- we were on the will call list) with my boyfriend Dan, his roommate Bill, friends Katie, Sam and Tom. We arrived in time to hear the opening band whose music I liked but I wasn't a fan of the lead singers voice. In between sets there was a plethora of AC/DC songs which kept everyone pumped up. We stood by the bar with all of the parents who were there chaperoning their teenage children. One of whom was wearing a notable t-shirt: "Talk shit. Get hit." Classy.

Sum 41 was better than I had remembered from that video in college and I found myself dancing to every song, including the 'Master of Puppets' cover they did. A cover that our friend Bill, a true metal fan, deeply enjoyed. That is the surprising thing about Sum 41, they weren't as pop-punk as I'd remembered, they had a bit of a harder, pure rock vibe which I really liked. The lead singer was as short as the tabloids say he is and Avril was not in tow. He said 'fuck' a lot which surprised me, but it got the crowd riled up. I need to get Dan to give me a copy of the mix he made for Bill...

This show, in this venue, made me nostalgic for the days when I went to a lot of pop-punk shows in similar venues and it got me excited to see more. I love seeing Dan dance, especially at shows like this. I kept looking back at him with a huge smile on my face. Dan and Crazy Donkey= super fun times. I love it and can't wait for the next show!

No comments:

Post a Comment