Monday, May 18, 2009

Saturday May 16, 2009

Tonight's ticket stub was from the crime drama State of Play featuring Rachel McAdams, Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck. I attended this movie with Dan at a theater I had never been to before in Farmingdale. There are two Farmingdale theaters and went to the wrong one first (doh!) and had to turn around. That coupled with long ticket and snack lines caused us to miss the previews (our favorite part of going to the movies) along with an undetermined (but likely only 2 minutes) part of the movie.

I was entertained and on the edge of my seat for the entire movie. A politically-fueled murder of a senator's aide being investigated by a D.C. journalist with a connection to the senator whose was having an affair with the victim. I enjoy Russell Crowe and Rachel McAdams and they did not disappoint this time either and provided a good student-teacher dynamic. Russell as the grizzled vet journalist using old-school reporting methods to build his story including sweet-talking hospital morgue workers and police officers alike, with McAdams as the young internet-saavy blogger who was trained in more classical, and ethically pure, reporting methods. Throw in a struggling newspaper under pressure from a new corporate owner and you have immense pressure to uncover the murderer before the cops do.

I could uncover much more to the story but I don't want to give any more away. I will add a stellar, albeit short-lived, performance by a club-hopping Jason Bateman (I love that guy- why did he disappear for like 10 years) stole the show and kept the intensity up towards the end of the movie.

I recommend giving State of Play a viewing- if not in theaters (all of the summer blockbusters have hit the ground) then definitely add to your Netflix queue upon release date.

No comments:

Post a Comment